Friday, January 20, 2006

NTSB released some findings in Florida Mallard crash.


I always dread hearing about plane crashes. I am especially sensitive when I hear about smaller planes, twin turbines to be exact. I used to spend a lot of time riding around in Twin Otters, Caravans and the like. When the news came on Dec 19th that a plane carrying 20 people had crashed in Florida, my first reaction was that it was likely a skydiving operation that suffered the loss.



While it was not to be, it certainly got my attention. A few days ago, the NTSB released some facts from the investigation.



Although the right wing ripped off the doomed Chalk's seaplane last month, the left one also had metal fatigue cracks, a preliminary National Transportation Safety Board report said Monday.

That bolsters evidence that the wear and tear of 58 years of flying might have played a major role in the Dec. 19 crash that killed all 20 on board, experts said.

...and...

The seaplane that crashed was built in 1947, had flown more than 31,000 hours and made more than 39,000 takeoffs and landings, the FAA said.

The families of those lost are still in my prayers. Could this be a commuter/sightseeing airline wake-up call? I hope so.

I worry about my friends still in the jump community as well, because before old airplanes go to die, many of them become jump planes.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home