Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My commute has eased

Nope, I didn't get fired. Yep, I'm still driving 18 miles each way to work. Yep, my wife still gets by with a two mile drive (snide commments under breath).

I know that by the old Southern California drive-to-work standards that I used to live by, that would not be so bad; but here in Portland (the land of two lane freeways while still a big city) it has been a long way. Some days it would take an hour to get to work; there are really no solid alternate routes either.


Well, some of the delay has been caused by freeway expansion (the work was doled out like an annuity; a little every year and it never finishes). Suddenly, and without warning, the crews actually finished a big section that reduces congestion by altering flow and adding a lane. In LA, adding a lane might by scoffed at, but here it raised the capacity by 50%.

Now I occasionally risk speeding tickets (unintentionally, of course) during the peak drive time. Yay.

4 Comments:

At Tue Jan 03, 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Gavriel said...

You lucky guy, enjoy it.

We still have a one lane freeway leading to our city, and in general almost all big freeways here are only 2 lanes. And we have to slow for crossing camels and slow moving donkey carts, but that's another story.

 
At Wed Jan 04, 07:51:00 AM, Blogger bananzattack said...

first an exit near your home and now this? you sure are getting spoiled!

 
At Wed Jan 04, 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Wade said...

OK. How do I post comments with a picture attached?

 
At Thu Jan 05, 04:21:00 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

load a picture into your profile (from your blog's dashboard).

[Since you've posted photos in your blog, I'm assuming you can get your photo onto a server and find out the url. If that's a problem in a non-post environment, let me know].

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home