Monday, January 02, 2006

Making room in the kitchen...







...Makes room in my garage.

Before you get the wrong idea about me, let me confirm that I have always been more of a dreamer than one who finishes projects. Hell, I start a lot of them.

About four and a half years ago, I built a few basic slide out shelves (on rollers) for my Mom's cabinets. They were awful, but she loved them. When she died, I sort of put all the dream plans for our kitchen on the back burner (the raw materials remained stacked in the garage).

Well, we are almost to our second young'n (April due date) and Dad is "nesting" with power tools.

Our kitchen has an abundance of cabinet space, but on the fridge wall, those suckers are actually two feet deep. When I emptied one out, I found stuff that was waaaaay out of date. What I needed to build was a set of pull out shelves that was only two cans deep; that way, you can always see the back of your supply. Years late, but as of tonight, they work. One down, six to go (but the first one is the hardest).

See above and below for a few photos of what I did. Picture 1 shows a cabinet as they came. 2-5 show the pull-out-ish-ness of the mechanism. Plans for finishing the system include a bit of ply to cover the front with half holding a calendar and half being a chalkboard. Well, nuf said...













Well, I've been going full blast on this rekindled notion of a perfect cabinet for the last few days. I've picked up power tools that I'd forgotten I had. I really wanted to get these put together and installed today. This project had gone too long acclimating in the garage. But, why finish today?

It dawned on me a few minutes before I took those pics. Although she is gone from my sight, I wish my mom a Happy Birthday. She would have been 65 today, and she loved gadgets.

Sleep and dreams of cabinet mods are calling me. Power Tools be damned; I still have all my fingers, so far!

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 03, 03:41:00 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

If you ever visit Israel, bring your tools, we'll put you to work.

 
At Tue Jan 03, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger bananzattack said...

awesome tribute to both generations!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home