Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Another comment on French Airplanes

As I mentioned a few moments ago, I travelled a fair bit last weekend. For the first leg of our return trip, we hopped a flight from Milwaukee to Minneapolis on an Airbus 320. This is the same aircraft type that had the little nosewheel mishap (made a good point, though).

Computers are neat things, but when they err... the nosewheel problem was the result of the computer doing as it was told. I guess it worked out OK, then.

But moving on... I'm PLANE (not Plame) crazy, so when I get on aircraft, I try to look around and intelligently catalogue what the airplane does. Keeps me busy anyway.

Well the little one and I sit down in the waaaaay-back (cool, we get to watch the wing (s)). I look out and notice that the right aileron is deflected fully downward. Well, I thought, the pilot must have been in a hurry (they were running late) and not centered the control wheel (actually, a joystick on the airbus). Then I contorted and craaaanned my neck to check the other wing (good there are two) (their French, but...) and the left wing aileron was also deflected fully downward.

A few moments after engine start, as hydraulic pressure increased and the cpu's reset everything, my unease was relieved. The control surfaces centered.

I am pretty happy that Airbus is fly by wire after seeing that. Had their been a true hydraulic connection or cable-actuation, those suckers would have been hooked up with one side backwards. Imagine the news report...

Wade, his daughter, and many other expendible crewmembers and passengers were killed today when the French plane they were travelling aboard was unable to control it's roll axis. Despite pretty flapping motions of the aptly French named "Ailerons" (thanks to Louis Bleriot; copycat extroardinaire) the aircraft was lost from radar seconds after takeoff. Fortunately, in the US, the class distinctions between suburb and city are the reverse of those in Europe (Paris especially) and the plane did little damage to anyone of import. It did, however, come within 4 miles of the new Islamic center of Milwaukee; Muslims are outraged.

With the cockpit voice recorder tape analyzed, the initial release has the pilot's last words as,

"You're Toulouse, Cougar!" <> end of recording--

4 Comments:

At Tue Nov 08, 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Jacob said...

Brown Admits to Using Blogger's Words
"Roughly 90 percent of what" Rep. Sherrod Brown wrote in his letter to Sen. Mike DeWine "was lifted from an Internet posting by" blogger Nathan Newman, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to road construction of pa on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like road construction of pa!

 
At Wed Nov 09, 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Hi there Wade, I was just browsing, looking for nascar related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a nascar site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

 
At Wed Nov 09, 09:44:00 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Hi Wade, very unique blog you have! I was looking for nascar wrecks related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a nascar wrecks site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit and enjoy!

 
At Thu Nov 10, 01:53:00 AM, Blogger Gavriel said...

Hi there Wade, I was just browsing for "my brother Wade" related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a my brother Wade site. You can get current my brother Wade news as well as info on how to stop these spam messages, things about my own life and so much more. Please visit and enjoy.

(in your blogger settings page, you can set a control that requires image verification before anyone can comment, that will stop this garbage for the most part, although there is a 50% chance that I personally will be able to figure it out and comment anyway but the others will have trouble but don't worry because even if they can't comment here I will make up for it personally with the length of my runon sentences so that your blog will not lack for commenting volume, at least as measured by the "number of words" test, which is prefered by some even though the "number of comments" gets so much more mainstream attention.)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home