Monday, September 26, 2005

I am a parking lot menace

I've been thinking about posting this for a couple of days. It is not newsworthy, just funny--strange.

As you may know, I drive the second largest (or some such) private vehicle on the planet. A diesel quad cab regular bed Chevy Silverado pickup. I also work in an office building where 50% of the census aspires to driving hybrids or minis. Generally, I park on the top floor of the structure. That, coupled with the long walk, usually means I am in no one's way (and I avoid hearing the zipper sound of ripping fiberglass).

Well, the management of the building had chosen to clean and resurface the top floor, so my parking options lessened for several weeks. I pulled the bike racks off of the top so I could squeeze into the sandwich levels without mayo to reduce friction. Not wanting to push my luck, I chose the long walk spot, right by the entrance.

When I went home last Thursday, there was an index card with a hastily scratched note on my windshield. Expletives, invective and an implied threat of hit and run; apparently, my vehicle was a hazard to navigation in this persons (small) mind. Then, the adrenaline hit.

I guess it is a blessing that the note was unsigned. I thought of lots of things to say. Then I took a moment and a deep breath and went home. I showed my wife the note, and we talked about it. In the end, my response came down to choosing the lesser of two evils, I guess. I chose to park elsewhere, judging that had someone decided to scratch, dent, fold, spindle or mutilate my sheet metal; it would've cost more than giving in. ...And I forgot about it.

Until I came down to go to lunch with a friend hours later and found another hand scrawled note. This time it was a yellow postit in a different hand. The gist of the note...why did I let myself get pushed around by that other person. Augh. Can't win sometimes.

I will continue on my merry way in the knowledge that should I choose to do some pushing around, my 8000 pounds of Chevy could do the trick. Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry (Bill Bixby-The Incredible Hulk).

Seeya

2 Comments:

At Mon Sep 26, 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Gavriel said...

You did the right thing. Sticks and stones can break their bones but your car would really squish them.

 
At Wed Nov 09, 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Hi there Wade, I was just browsing, looking for nascar wrecks related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a nascar wrecks site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home