Thursday, March 03, 2005

Boup Boup...Chika Chikkkkaaahhh...Oh yeah

Ever had a song stuck in your head? I keep hearing this song and visualizing Ferris Beuller's day off.

Well, I didn't get to the gym in the morning the other day (any real surprise), but we are impromptizing a camping (what we call our trailer in an RV park) trip to Mt. Hood. The bikes and baby trailer (for the back of the bike) will be on top of the truck. Food, Scrabble, exercise. I just hope my cell phone doesn't start buzzing away.

Oh heck, can I tell you a funny story I just remembered?

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (before I was married and had a family; 10 years) I used to jump out of planes for profit. Folks wanted to learn and I wanted the free jump and the walking around money.

Anyway, one day, shortly after having exited on a "single instructor" "first freefall" jump (the student had 5 previous static line jumps), I got a weird surprise. The plan was to expose the student to the wonders and sensory overload of freefall, get him to practice his ripcord touches, keep altitude awareness and open his parachute at the proper altitude (4,500 feet for this jump). We expected to have about 25 seconds in freefall.

**("Mr. Instructor Guy, what do I do if I look at my altimeter and we have already passed 4,500 feet?" "No sweat, just wait and it will come around again).

Anyway, he was a great student and an all around good guy, so I was a bit surprised when he went fetal on me after about ten seconds. Fortunately, I have never been small. I utilized my mass, leverage and my aerodynamic advantage (I fall like a greased bowling ball if needed) to get him back. The whole fiasco only lasted about ten seconds and then he opened his canopy at the assigned altitude.

What does this have to do with anything? Turns out, Freddies pager had gone off in freefall, buzzing his hip like crazy (having never been in freefall before, he thought something was coming apart and couldn't figure out why I hadn't spit out my gum and I was still smiling.

On the prejump prep, I missed that he had not taken it off and put his jumpsuit over it; my fault. ...But hey, that sure would be an awful time to get that urgent message.

************************************************

Anyway, I am changing to a different steroid for my eye...yay. I have hopes of pain free living again soon. Speaking of songs, "Doctor...my eyes!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home